Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Out of Space, Out of Time, Out of Mind

 

It was September of 1981 and It felt really strange. The It being me really, but it was something else larger than me. The strange was a feeling that I get, even to this day,  although it has diminished somewhat. So after 13 years of having to start school every September, this year I was at home. I had graduated in June, I had quit my job at KFC also in June so that I could have the summer off, but now here I was left with this strange feeling that I needed to do SOMETHING.

Creating art was something I could do! I had some ideas for some paintings but I also had these Prismacolor pencil crayons that I could be using. I also had a whack of black paper that I originally bought back in grade 10 for an optical illusion assignment. (We did not have art offered in grade 11 or 12......go figure) Since at the time I thought space is black, if I used this black paper, it would save me a lot of work.


Out of Space, Out of Time, Out of Mind - 20 x 26 in. - pencil crayon & white ink





Beyond Human Knowledge - 20 x 26 in. - pencil crayon & white ink




Hands of Creation - 20 x 26 in. - pencil crayon & white ink

This picture is one of my most known works probably because it is the image that is most out there in the world in the form of posters. I got the posters made about a year after the drawing with the encouragement of my colleague at work (yes I did start a job in that fall after graduating,)  and after I cashed in the insurance policy for money to get the posters printed.  




The Hitchhiker - 20 x 26 in. - pencil crayon, acrylic & white ink


I did not know about the book The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy at the time I did this drawing.